Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pat Arensberg: Lent


“The New Law practices the acts of religion: almsgiving, prayer and fasting, directing them to the ‘Father who sees in secret,’ in contrast with the desire to ‘be seen by men.’” –CCC #1969
Most of us are probably aware that Mardi Gras means “Fat Tuesday.”  We are also probably aware that it is connected with the season of lent.  We are people who feast and fast.  The day before lent began was a time to empty the house of the things we were going to give up.    Thus, it also became a time to indulge one last time in those things.  This evolved (or devolved) into an entire season of feasting before the fasting begins.  

But Lent is not just about fasting.  It is also about prayer and almsgiving.  We should focus on all three.  They should fuel each other.  My fasting should be supported by my prayer.  My fasting should also help my prayer by helping me to remember to hunger for intimacy with God.  It should also make me more keenly aware of the suffering of my brothers and sisters who are in need.  Perhaps, what I give up in my fast can also be given somehow to those who are in greater need.

I would like to encourage each of you to make your Lenten resolutions.  They should include what you are going to give up (fasting), what extra attention you may give your prayer life (most especially, if you could make it to daily Mass), and how you are going to give alms.  Make sure that your resolutions are concrete.  Don’t tell yourself, “I am going to pray more.”  How will you know if you have done that?  Rather, say something like, “I am going to make it to Mass on Mondays and to Stations of the Cross on Fridays.”  Make sure that your resolutions are challenging (don’t give up lima beans!), but make sure that the resolutions are reachable or realistic.

Tomorrow, I would like to discuss why we fast before returning to our normal curriculum for this blog.




About Pat Arensberg
Patrick Arensberg is the Director of Religious Education for the Archdiocese of Mobile. Previously, he taught for 17 years at McGill-Toolen Catholic High School, where he served as Chairman of the Theology Department. He attended the Gregorian University in Rome and holds an M.A. in Theology from Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans. He is married to Connie and they live in Mobile with their 5 children.

No comments: