Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Todd Sylvester: Lasting Impressions

When my 20 year old son was only a few months old, we took him to Mass on a Sunday and sat near the front (I know, pretty daring). When he started to make those familiar distracting noises, instead of immediately bringing him to the back, I simply kissed him. Miraculously, it silenced him. He just smiled back at me. So I kissed him again. I took the opportunity to kiss him on his forehead and eyes and cheeks until he finally fell asleep.
   
After Mass, as we were walking out, a large man stepped directly in front of me. He had red eyes and looked very intimidating. “Excuse me,” he said. “Yes,” I answered taking a half step back. “I was watching you during Mass. The way you were loving on that baby. I’ve never been loved like that my whole life.” Then he quickly turned and walked away. I’ve never seen him again.
   
I think of that encounter often. It reminds me of what this broken world truly needs…LOVE. Let us take the gift of today and reach out with what we all have the opportunity to give…LOVE!




About Todd Sylvester
Todd Sylvester has worked in Church Ministry for almost 20 years. His love for Christ in the Eucharist is evident as he strives to lead his wife and ten children to the heavenly banquet. Todd is a writer, singer/songwriter, radio show host, teacher, and above all else, Lover of God. His child-like perspective is not only poignant, but helps reveal the reality of God in our everyday living.

No comments: