Monday, April 2, 2012

Men of St. Joseph in Australia | 5 Questions

Recently, we presented 5 questions to the founders of our new Australian chapters, Dan Miller, (Sidney), and Jamie Floyd (Melbourne). Hear, in their own words, how they established Men of St. Joseph Down Under . . .


Question 1. How did you come to know about the Men of St Joseph?

Jamie Floyd:
“During the work day I listen to podcasts of many American Catholic radio shows (we don’t have a lot here). Among these is my favourite show, Catholic Answers Live, on which was mentioned a men’s group I had never heard of before, the Men of St. Joseph. I did some looking into it on the internet when I got home and liked the look of it. I wished we had something here but longed to have the courage to start something. I let it sit with me for about six months.

“Last New Years’ Eve I made a resolution (not that I’m one for resolutions normally) to follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit more closely. Well, I go to our Parish church for midnight adoration to usher in the new year, like I often do, and I decided to stay afterwards for coffee and biscuits. About 5 min into this New Year a man approached me asking about men’s groups in the parish. We do have one that is more social, but he wanted something more formative and faith directed. We discussed options (read, ‘Men of St Joseph’) and, to cut a long story short, after the approval of our Parish Priest, Fr Brendan, we talked at masses and went on a recruitment campaign.”

Daniel Miller and son, Joseph.
Daniel Miller:
"About a year or so ago I started developing a keen interest in St Joseph in terms of a role model not only for workers and fathers, but also men generally.  We named our second child, who was born on 31 May last year, in honour of St Joseph.  Just after Joseph's birth it got me thinking that there is a real lack of Catholic men's groups - not social groups, but groups that really focus on what one might call masculine spirituality, and that really challenge men to live out their life with St Joseph as their model. I remember casually praying at the time "Jesus I wish such a group existed". One day while off work following Joseph's birth I was on the internet searching around Google and YouTube, and I came across the Men of St Joseph!   I was immediately wrapped.  I anxiously went to the listing of chapters to see where the nearest one was, thinking that there would be several in Australia and just hoping that there was one nearby.  I was stunned when I realised that we had none in Australia!  I thought to myself, "we need this out here".  


"At the time I was working in a very demanding job (around 70 hours a week) but I asked St Joseph to help me find a role where I could commit more time to the family and start an MOSJ group in Sydney.  Thanks be to God, in August last year I was offered a new role that involved less hours and was closer to home!  I took that as a prompting from the Holy Spirit to get off my backside and get an MOSJ group started.  Once I was settled in my new job, I approached my parish priest later in the year who was fully supportive.  I then wrote to Chris Teague early last December and Chris graciously responded immediately and provided great guidance and encouragement to get the group started.  I felt even more encouraged when I learnt early in the new year that Jamie and Dean wanted to start a group in Melbourne too!  Following a publicity campaign involving talks after Mass (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4XU4DAY2Vc) and flyers, we had our first meeting in late February.  I pray every day that MOSJ will continue to expand down here because it is a great apostolate.  I cannot thank the MOSJ founders in the US enough for generously allowing the Holy Spirit to work through them in bringing MOSJ to life!"      



Question 2. What is it about the Men of Joseph that urged you to start a group in your parish?

Jamie:
“Primarily it was the content of the meetings – the scripture and reflections (not ‘bible study’ type) – that drew me to the group, but the apologetic aspect pretty much sealed it for me. Once again though, I thought that I would be the only one attracted to this! I am pleased though that we have the support of Fr. Brendan; he clearly sees some value in the group.

“Though I cannot understate the importance that Dean Everard has had in starting of this group. Put simply if he didn’t express his interest, none of this would have happened. God Bless him!”

Dan:
"It is a simple but highly effective apostolate that meets a real need in the Catholic Church.  I think it's fair to say that over the past 50 years or so there has been a bit of confusion in the church around how men and women are called to live out their vocation.  You could say that there has been a push in some quarters for women to become more masculine and for men to become more feminine.  MOSJ has the correct approach by appealing to men to embrace their masculinity - but not in a macho or "tough guy" way, but in a true and holy way that appeals to the truth of what a man is called to be - that is, to be living, courageous, sacrificial, spiritual leaders of their families and the broader community.  I think its other strength is that it has enough structure (meeting format, set prayers) to keep the group organised and consistent, yet enough flexibility and "user friendliness" to appeal to a broad audience of men regardless of where they are at in their spiritual journey.  I love the challenge that the meeting structure presents, with men being challenged every week to take something out of the discussion and implement it in their lives - MOSJ meetings don't just say "let's try to do this", rather "this is what we need to do, let's do it".  Finally, men openly sharing their experiences encourages accountability and also a degree of comfort for other men that we all have struggles and challenges that we're trying to work through in our perseverance to become the men Jesus calls us to be."

   
Men gather at the Men of St. Joseph introductory breakfast, Our Lady Help of Christians, New Warren, Victoria. New Warren is located in metropolitan Melbourne.

Question 3. What has the response been like with the introduction of the Men of St Joseph to the parish?


Jamie:
“The general response of the parishioners has been welcoming and positive. It is early days still, so we have made little impact in such a diverse, lively and multicultural parish (the biggest in Australia). But I am sure that given time, the Holy Spirit will work his mystery in the group and in the parish, finding a new expression of his love in families and the parish.
 
“We have planned some events for the parishioners (though not yet done them), like a Mother's’ day mass and morning tea (on the Saturday), and probably another men’s breakfast around fathers’ day. Though we don’t want to be known just for these, I think it is important to show our appreciation to mothers, fathers and their families – the nuclear church. In addition we are looking into supporting a local mentoring program and I hope to soon plan for later in the year a one day seminar on men’s spirituality to help men (and the women in their lives) to understand what it is to be a man; what is the purpose of manhood.”


Dan:
"Thanks be to God, very positive.  We have a core group of about 10 men now and usually about 15 people every week - the additional ones being those who would like to come each week but can't due to work or family commitments.  So far, we have had at least one new person join us every week which has been a good sign of the Holy Spirit at work.   My focus at the moment is ensuring that we have a robust and challenging meeting each week.  One piece of solid advice Chris Teague gave me was that the best way for the group to grow is to have existing members invite new people along.  So I've been (with St Joseph's help) trying to follow that by ensuring that we have a quality meeting each week.  The new people who have been joining the group each week have been invited by someone else, so thanks be to God that is a good sign.  Lord willing, once we have our group "consolidated" a bit more, I hope to do some broader activities in the parish (with an evangelisation focus) but for the moment the focus is on trying to ensure quality weekly meetings, because I believe that is one of the strengths of MOSJ - it only asks men to commit around 1 hour a week, and encourages them to take responsibility for implementing what arises at the meeting into their own lives, rather than me putting too many time pressures on the guys to get involved in too many things too soon." 

  
Question 4. Tell us a little about yourselves and the men in the group.


Jamie:
“I, Jamie, was an early convert to the faith bringing my mother and sister also into the faith at the same time. After attending primary and secondary Catholic schools I met and later married my wife. She too converted to the faith during that time. Together we have two gorgeous sons, Declan, 9 and Liam 7, both attending the Parish primary school, Don Bosco PS. Nearly 7 years ago, after slowly sliding away from the church, I had a massive reversion to the faith. I attended seminary and obtained a Bachelor of Theology, and am now in my final year of a Graduate Diploma of Education (secondary) which will qualify me to teach the fullness of the faith to teenagers. God willing it all comes to pass (though his will be done). Frankly all this is his will – I never would have expected any of this ten years ago; if someone had told me this was going to happen I would have told them they were dreaming!”

“The core group of men that are becoming ‘the regulars’ are all married men, all have children at various ages across the group, and all are keen to participate. The group has decreased a little from the initial group of 9 to 6 regulars, but there is good energy amongst them and each is providing positive feedback. We ask that you keep us in your prayers, for continuing strength within the group and for an increase of members. I am confident that the Spirit will work wonders, as is his way.”


Dan:
"It's arguably a miracle that we've been able to start an MOSJ group in Sydney given that many people accuse me of doing Satan's work (I'm a lawyer by trade).  I was away from the Catholic Church for a long time before coming back into full communion with the church around 12 years ago.  After being away for a while I did some intensive study into finding the truth.  I looked at Judaism, Islam, and all the various "streams" of Christianity (Protestant, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism) and some of the other sects (Seventh Day Adventist church, Mormonism etc). I developed a keen interest in apologetics and found myself reading all the great US converts (Hahn, Ray, Staples, Akin etc). Ultimately I found my way home to the church founded by Christ, the Catholic Church, and I can honestly say that being Catholic is the best thing I have in my life (yes, as much a blessing as they are, even more so than my wife and children).  I'm married, and currently have 2 children (Emily, 4, and Joseph, 10 months).  The men in our group are fantastic - it is truly inspiring each week to be able to share with a group of guys who are so passionate about Jesus and want to become more like Him.  We have men from a variety of age groups, some in their 20's, some in their 30's / 40's and some in their 50's / 60's. Most are currently working in a variety of different jobs and most of them are married with families (or about to be married)."  

 
Question 5. Now that the Men of St Joseph have chapters in Sydney and Melbourne, if an MOSJ member from USA was planning a trip to Australia, which is the better city to visit, Melbourne or Sydney?



Jamie:
“Clearly I would say Melbourne and there are many stats to support this. (As a side bar, there is a bitter rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I’m not really sure what started it but it continues none the less – I think they’re just jealous.) There are stats, like the many years Melbourne is above Sydney in the world’s most livable city list, like the number of international stage shows and acts that debut here before anywhere else in the world, let alone Sydney. But here is a list I love, as would all sporting fans: Melbourne is the host city of the world! Just look at this: We host the first Tennis Grand Slam of the year, the first Formula One race of the year, we hosted the first Olympics outside Europe/America, we host the Australian moto Grand Prix (motor bikes), a horse race that literary stops a nation and draws an international list, the best domestic grand final seen anywhere in the world (the AFL, which draws a crowd of about 100,000 people each year for the last 40 years), we have hosted the Rugby world cup, the Cricket world cup final, the commonwealth games, and so on... Outside of sports we host the comedy festival (one of the big three, with Montreal and Edinburg), an international film festival, an international fashion festival, an international motor show and so on... again. As the first host of the Australian government, the birthplace of federation in Australia, I propose that Melbourne is the best host city of the world! And we would be all the better for hosting the first international conference of the MOSJ! (Of course if you don’t like the weather when you get here, wait a minute it’ll change to something you might like – the weather accommodating like that!)  
Sydney do host some things that Melbourne don’t: they do have the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras after all.”  (it’s all in charity of course, Dan!)    



Dan:
I've been following the 49ers since 1989 and if there's one thing Americans love its sport!  NFL is my favourite game but a close second is rugby league - and Sydney is the home of rugby league.  Melbourne is the home of what they call "AFL", which they believe passes as football but is more like a cross between male ballet and synchronised swimming with a football and some jumping thrown in.  The only good thing AFL has done is provided some half decent punters for the NFL (Matt McBriar, Sav Rocca for example). For a good, hard nosed sport rugby league is the way to go, check it out when you're out here!

Other than that key factor?   Sydney has arguably the most beautiful harbour in the world, some of the best beaches in the world, some of the world's greatest landmarks (Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge) and the most down to earth people in Australia (Melbournians like to think they're more intelligent and sophisticated, and perhaps they are, but we are more down to earth and friendly).

I will give the Melbournians one concession - Sydney is home to one of the best Archbishops in the world (George Cardinal Pell), who was born and raised in Melbourne before we pinched him from there.  Guess it just goes to show that old cliche that God can bring goodness out of bad situations.....


No comments: