Thursday, April 19, 2012

Allen Hunt: Lesson from a No-Tell Motel


I think I just stayed in a No-tell Motel. I've been travelling this week, mostly in Chicago, and I am not very familiar with this area. So I booked an economical room online at a "hotel" that got good reviews.
When I arrived, they said I could not check in before 5:00 p.m. If I wanted to do so, it would be $15 per hour. Same hourly rate if I wanted to stay any later than 11:00 a.m. on check-out day too.
Upon entering the room, I noticed two things I usually do not see on business travel. Mirrors for three of the four walls. And an ocean-sized whirpool right in the middle of the room where usually there would be furniture. Also, the only refreshment offered at the "hotel" was wine by the bottle. Hourly rates, whirlpools for furniture, mega-mirrors, and wine by the bottle? Strange?
I made it safely through the evening (amen). But I learned yet again, that when you do not know where you're going, you can land yourself in some uncomfortable places. It's true geographically and it's true spiritually. Always best to have a destination in mind.
About Allen Hunt
Allen Hunt is a former Senior Pastor of an evangelical mega-church. He became Catholic in 2008 and now partners with Matthew Kelly to serve as the Vice-President for Strategy and Content at the Dynamic Catholic Institute. Allen is a speaker, writer, and radio host on News Talk WSB in Atlanta. He is the author of Confessions of a Mega-Church Pastor: How I Discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church.

No comments: