Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What Catholics Don't Know

Catholics may not know what they don't know, but they know enough to embrace mystery, and to wonder.

By Deacon Greg Kandra, February 23, 2011
Deacon Greg KandraSome months back, a woman came to the rectory to register her newborn for a baptism. As she filled out the paperwork, I explained that one of the godparents had to be Catholic, but that the other, if necessary, could be a baptized Christian.
She put down the pen and furrowed her brow.
"What's the difference?"
That same day, another new mother also arrived to start the process for a baptism. I looked over the paperwork and noticed that she had left blank the question on the form that asked if the parents had been married by a Catholic priest. I asked her about it.
"Well," she began, "I'm not sure if she was a priest . . . "
I smiled. "If it was a she," I explained, "it wasn't a Catholic priest."
She brightened. "Oh," she exclaimed excitedly. "Then she must have been anun!"
Just another morning at the rectory.
Continue reading >>>

No comments: