Friday, March 4, 2011

"I Don’t Give A...."

By DAVID O'BRIEN

Growing up Catholic usually includes the customary First Holy Communion, First Penance and Confirmation moments along the journey. For too many, however, these sacramental celebrations which are meant to launch us into a life of discipleship become quaint memories of childhood, necessary stepping stones on the way to graduation from Church.

Too often, young adults and older Catholics mention that they haven’t been to confession since Sister forced them to for Confirmation in 8th grade. How sad! Here the Lord, who held back nothing to free us from the burden of our sinfulness, gives us this opportunity to experience His healing and forgiveness and we treat the Sacrament of Reconciliation as an uncomfortable memory from our childhood. Confession is such a gift but we take it for granted.

A group of seniors at a Catholic high school retreat were lined up to go to confession. For many, it had been years since their last confession. But, when they complained, they were told it was part of the retreat experience.

So rather than fight the teachers, they decided to make a mockery of the process. Waiting in line, they concocted ridiculous sins to tell the priest. "I ran over my grandmother with my car" one jokester suggested. "I’ll say I locked my baby sister in the closet for a day" offered another.

They laughed and congratulated themselves for their creativity and wit as they awaited their turn. When the door opened and the light above the confessional went on, the first young man irreverently made his way in, leaving the door slightly ajar so his friends could hear his charade.

The priest listened intently as the young man, fighting to suppress his laughter, ticked off his sins. When he finished, the priest offered this penance:

"I want you to go to the front of the church where the crucifix is and look up at Jesus and say three times: ‘You did all this for me and I don’t give a damn’."

"That’s it Father, that’s all I have to do?" replied the young man. "I did run over my Nana."

"Yes, just stand before the cross and repeat those words three times," answered the priest.

Happy to get off so easy, the young man skipped past his friends and up to the altar where he encountered a life-sized Jesus hanging on the cross.

He began: "You did all this for me and I don’t give a damn." Nothing, simple, just two more to go.

Looking up at the cross, he continued: "You did all this for me..." Suddenly his voice broke and he realized what he was saying. He fought to control his emotions and finished the line "...and I don’t give a damn."

Staring now directly at Jesus, he imagined Him looking back at him. Jesus’ eyes are so filled with blood and tears, He could barely see him. The young man began to openly cry, recognizing the gravity of his sin and his lack of gratitude for the immense sacrifice that had been made for him.

Still he pressed on to complete his penance. "Jesus, you did all this for me...." The words barely make it past his lips. "...and I don’t give a damn."

Turning quickly, he wiped his tears and pushed to the front of the confession line. When the light went on, he rushed in and knelt before the priest, weeping as he softly repeated "I’m so sorry, I’m so, so sorry."

Years later, that young man went on to become a priest. Now he sits inside the confessional, leaving the light on for you and me.

And Christ? He still hangs on that cross, waiting, ready to forgive. He loves us as we are, not as we should be. Do we give a damn?


About David O’Brien
David O’Brien is the Associate Director of Religious Education for Lay Ministry for the Archdiocese of Mobile. His column, Everyday Faith, appears regularly in the archdiocesan newspaper, the Catholic Week. Email David at dobrien@mobilearchdiocese.org.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: