Monday, March 8, 2010

Necessities: Story 1

By Ross Parrish, Mobile, Ala. - St. Ignatius


Being recently graduated from the University of Alabama, I obviously was enthralled with this past season. I watched every game, went to about half of them and soaked up every bit of information I could find in the newspapers and the internet. My addiction of choice was BamaOnline.com. For those of you who don’t know, Bama Online is the most popular website for up to date news and recruiting info that you can find. I probably went to the site 5-10 times a day reading forums, looking at recruits, and reading recaps and stats from last week’s game. It only got worse as signing day approached. I amped up my Bama Online intake. So as Lent was approaching I decided that I needed to reevaluate my priorities. A good start was giving up that website. So that is one of the Lenten sacrifices I am doing.

About a week into lent I was talking to a friend about what each of us was doing to observe our Lenten sacrifice. I told him about my fast from Bama Online along with a few other things. He said, “There is no way I could do that!” and laughed it off. But it got me thinking, “what could I not do?” Sacrifice is not about doing something that is easy enough to still be comfortable. That is not sacrifice at all. Everyone knows the saying, “You don’t miss it, until it’s gone”. In other words, you can’t appreciate something until it is taken away. This is one of the functions of Lent. It’s a time for me to purge myself of MY necessities and cultivate GOD’S necessities for me. After giving up many of these things in Lent, we may find that we don’t miss them at all.

No comments: