Saturday, December 5, 2009

This Year Will Be Different!!!!

By Tommy Fulton, Mobile, Ala. - St. Dominic

When I listened to Matthew Kelly’s CD, given to me by my brothers of The Men of St. Joseph, I soaked up the messages like a bone-dry, thirsty sponge.  There was one message that struck me more than all of the rest.  That message was a quick version of Chapter 21: 34-36 of Luke’s gospel.  In essence, what Matthew Kelly said was, “Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from …the anxieties of daily life…”

That especially strikes me as important for this time of year.  It apparently struck him the same way, since his message was tailored for the Advent season.  It resonates with me greatly during the period from Thanksgiving through Christmas.  If there is one overarching thing that I love and appreciate about this season, it’s the gathering together of the family…my family.  From the earliest time I can ever remember, that’s been the most positive part of this season.

Regretfully, though, the “anxieties of daily life” fight against our best efforts to experience the warmth and love we share with our family and close friends.  Every year I vow to simplify the holiday spirit and every year I find myself in ultimate panic.

THIS YEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT!!!!

If I’ve received anything during my association with The Men of St. Joseph, it is this…
“Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent…” 
I have re-learned the importance of prayer and those few moments of quiet in which I ask God to give me the calm I need to appreciate all of the great things He has provided to me through my family and friends.  I don’t know if I can find the perfect present for everyone, or host the perfect party, or write the perfect Christmas card.  Probably not.

What I can do is use this period of the year to really appreciate the heart of those I love and who love me.  Mostly, I will express to Jesus Christ my gratitude for all that He’s given to me, especially His people…my family & friends.

May all of you have the happiest and holiest holiday season ever!

No comments: