Sunday, December 20, 2009

No Pain, no gain: Offering it up



Bill Harkins, a regular blogger on this blog, has a newly published article at the web site for U.S. Catholic. The article, No Pain, no gain: Offering it up, gives his account of running a marathon in honor of his nephew, Joseph, a young man stricken with leukemia.

"Sometimes the struggles we choose can unite us with those whose suffering comes unbidden.
"At about mile 22 I practically forgot the reason I was running-or at this point barely jogging-my second marathon in as many years. My feet were screaming at me to stop "offering it up" and lay my aching body down in the grass. It would feel so good to stretch out and soak up the Florida sunshine. A little voice asked, "Couldn't praying a rosary in the prone position be just as effective as pounding out 26.2 miles?"
Read the full article here


No comments: