Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Iron Bowl

By Todd Sylvester, Mobile, Ala. -St. Ignatius

I was talking with a friend recently who was getting excited for the upcoming Iron Bowl game between Alabama and Auburn. He talked about the long standing tradition with family and friends- the tailgating- the clothes he wears and finally the awesome seats that they have. I asked if I could buy the tickets, to which he laughed. Seriously, I said "How much for the tickets? And let’s say that you really couldn’t get other tickets- and as part of the package, you promised to not watch the game on T.V. or listen to it on the radio." When he realized I was sincere, he thought a moment and then said, “Not even a million dollars.” I responded, “Wow!” You really want to see this game. Then I said, “If you offered me a million dollars to miss one Mass- a daily Mass, not a Sunday or Holy Day of Obligation, I would refuse also. My question to you is, “What in your life would you hang on to even if someone offered you a million dollars?” Food for thought… Blessings, Todd

No comments: