Monday, November 9, 2009

Butterfly Kisses and a Father's Love

By Tommy Fulton, Mobile, Ala., - St. Dominic

Most of us have heard the song, “Butterfly Kisses”, by Bob Carlisle. If you haven’t, I sincerely hope that you take the time to listen to it. It’s the beautiful story of a father watching his daughter grow from a little girl into a woman. As she grows, her father thanks God for rewarding him with a lasting relationship with her. As a father of four girls and a son, I can certainly relate to those many, many cherished times as they grew.

Bob Carlisle wrote another song that I’ve just recently discovered. The title, “Father’s Love”, is so appropriate for the Men of St. Joseph. Although the words are appropriate for both sons and daughters, this song talks about a father’s relationship with his son. It’s pertinent to the Men of St. Joseph and our theme of putting the family back in the hands of The Father.

The main theme of this song moves from a father’s love for his son to our Father’s love for us. Carlisle assures his son that “there is no power on Earth, like your father’s love…so big and so strong, like your father’s love…” He says that it’s a promise that’s “sacred…a promise from heaven above.” To me, it’s at this point that you realize that he’s talking about God, our Father and His love for us.

“No matter where you go, always know you can depend on your Father’s love…” I know that my father gave me that feeling as I grew up, and I certainly hope and pray that my children know they can count on that from me. The father in the song then assures his son that, “even when my life on earth is through, there’s still a part of me in you…’cause some things are forever…”

The Men of St. Joseph are working hard to help instill this theme into all of us. Especially, though, MOSJ encourages us to remember that there is no power on earth, like Our Father’s love. Bob Carlisle does a beautiful job describing those relationships in both “Butterfly Kisses” and “Father’s Love.” I hope you take the time to listen!

No comments: