Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pat Arensberg: Savior and Redeemer


“He delivered us from the power of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” -Colossians 1:13-14
The reason Jesus became man was to redeem us. He testifies to this, “I am troubled now. Yet what should I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ But it was for this purpose that I came to this hour. Father Glorify your name.” -John 12:27-28 He came to redeem us and to be our savior. Yet, we are reminded that the work of salvation is present through the entire life of Jesus. We are reminded that in the Incarnation he became poor and enriches us through his poverty. In his hidden life that humble submission atones for our disobedience. The word he preaches purifies his hearers. The healings and exorcisms he performs took our infirmities and he bore our disease. And by his Resurrection he justified us. (see CCC #517)
In other words, the entirety of Jesus life while on earth was redemptive. There are two players in the relationship between me and God; namely me and God. Jesus’ life and death purchased my redemption, but his life also modeled for me how to participate in that redemption. I cannot be a passive player. If someone gives me the winning lottery ticket, but I do not take it to the appropriate office and cash it in it does me no good. So too, we can render Jesus’ life, death and resurrection powerless in our lives by not accepting the free gift that he offers. His life of humility and service as well as the lessons he taught with his preaching instruct me in how I must live. He shows me and teaches me how to cash the lottery ticket.

No comments: