Monday, March 12, 2012

Pat Arensberg: Contrast Mary and Zechariah


“Zechariah was troubled by what he saw, and fear came upon him.”  -Luke 1:12
So, I am trying to limit each blog to pretty close to 300 words.  It may take me a couple of blogs to thoroughly discuss the topic at hand.  My thesis is this:  I think that we can establish that Mary was planning to remain a virgin even though she was betrothed to Joseph.  Now, many theologians who are way smarter than me disagree with this premise.  However, many theologians who are way smarter than me agree.  In the end what really matters is that we do believe that Mary DID remain a virgin for her entire life.

I would like then today to make some general observations about Zechariah and Mary.  Did you notice that there is a real parallel in the language that Luke uses, and yet there are some very distinct differences.  Zechariah’s reaction is fear (1:12).  Mary is troubled by lofty greeting that the angel gave her (1:29), but she was not afraid.    In response to the angel’s proclamation of the good news Zechariah asks for a sign and doubts that God can accomplish this miracle because of his age and the age of Elizabeth (1:18).  Mary’s question does not display doubt, but rather asks the question of how the pregnancy will occur because, “I have no relations with a man?” (1:34)  We know that Mary’s question was a “how” question and not one that displayed a lack of faith because she is given an answer to her question (1:35) while Zechariah is punished for his unbelief (1:20)

I love Mary’s answer, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (1:38)  We are all called to be the handmaid of the Lord.  We all have a task from God that only we can fulfill.  In the words of the Blues Brothers, “We are on a mission from God.”  

Tomorrow I would like to make the case about Mary planning to remain a virgin.




About Pat Arensberg
Patrick Arensberg is the Director of Religious Education for the Archdiocese of Mobile. Previously, he taught for 17 years at McGill-Toolen Catholic High School, where he served as Chairman of the Theology Department. He attended the Gregorian University in Rome and holds an M.A. in Theology from Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans. He is married to Connie and they live in Mobile with their 5 children.

No comments: