Monday, January 30, 2012

Todd Sylvester: The Big Ones

My six year old was organizing the change in her tiny purse as we settled in the pew for Sunday Mass. I tried to help her to lessen the jingling noises. “Do you need help?” I asked.

“No thank you, Daddy,” she responded.

As she continued to take longer than my patience could handle, I asked again. “Are you sure you don’t need help counting?”
   
“I’m not counting,” she responded with that look of ‘Daddy, you’re so silly.’
  
“Then what are doing?” I asked.
   
“I’m getting all the BIG ONES- THOSE ARE THE ONES I GIVE TO GOD.”
   
I immediately asked myself if that was true in my life. Are my greatest treasures the ones I give to God? Are my greatest gifts the ones I give to God. Are the most important things to me, those things that I give to God. Or do I save the dull pennies for Him?
   
Let’s look again at our lives and be sure we are giving to God the ‘BIG ONES.’




About Todd Sylvester
Todd Sylvester has worked in Church Ministry for almost 20 years. His love for Christ in the Eucharist is evident as he strives to lead his wife and ten children to the heavenly banquet. Todd is a writer, singer/songwriter, radio show host, teacher, and above all else, Lover of God. His child-like perspective is not only poignant, but helps reveal the reality of God in our everyday living.

No comments: